Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Paying Attention to the Good Things

While writing an entry in my "Tell me everything you know" journal last night, I was completing the section where I write down the good things of the day, to feed my spirits, when it impressed me how unusually large the number of items I put down were. It was in great excess than what I can usually push myself to write.

Immediately I noticed there was a subtle, but still purposeful, shift in the methodology I had been using. In mulling over some disappointments with people who have let me down -- those who reciprocate little of the attention I've given them -- I realized that it's nonsensical to pay any sort of mental attention to those who offer no attention back, and from then on strived to shut those people out of my mind with the aid of click-tracking. It's not only focusing on negative things; it also shuts out awareness of the good things that are in my life, such as the friends I actually have who pay me good affections, but to whom I may not be reciprocating in equal value for my folly in focusing on the cold disappointments.


The result of this is a small reprogramming of my subconsciousness, which allowed for my emotions to change. Our emotions arise from our subconscious, which is programmed by the thoughts and ideas we repeat over and over in our head. (Emotions, in other words, are habits at the subconscious level.) What we allow ourselves to pay direct attention to most of the time is what programs those emotions. They can be changed and altered, but, of course, we should be careful the first time.

In my case, I had been allowing myself to pay too much attention to those who don't reciprocate value in my contacts. By paying so much attention to it, it shifted the landscape of my mind to see more and more of what was disappointing or has been a letdown, and as a result my emotions went down with it.

By utilizing click-tracking, I worked harder on mentally ignoring those people and other things, and to purposely pay more attention to friends who do contribute to my life and to whom I have not been reciprocating total value back to, for focus on my negative things. The result is a shift in habits: Deliberately not paying attention to the negative made those habits weaken while deliberately paying attention to the positive brought new habits in its place, ones of a brighter world with good things already in my life and good people to deal with.

This goes to show how concentration once again -- at least, an aspect of concentration -- has an impact on our health and well-being. Attention is purposeful focus, and whatever we purposely focus on will have an effect on our internal wiring. I was only bringing myself down, making myself feel unappreciated, by allowing the mind's eye to look at immaterial things.

The useful lesson is that if you want control over your consciousness, one very big thing to do is be wary of the thoughts you repeat constantly, for they become the habits which become emotions. They'll never be unchangable, but the longer a habit lives the harder it is to change.

There's a great multitude of ways as to how one can track and change emotions -- too many for this article -- but one potent method I endorse is the potent click-tracking. In estimating yourself -- such as writing down the problems you have on paper, and taking notice of the thoughts that embody this concern -- click the tally counter every time you have the negative thought you're working on uprooting, and then apply the remedy, such as the intellectual refutement of the thoughts, a positive anecdote, and so forth.

By making yourself change your attentional habits you're starving to death the negative thoughts you don't want to have -- since, after all, habits live only through repetition -- and bringing life its desired replacement.

This goes to show how another aspect of concentration, attention, is very irreplaceable in life. Pay attention to what's important. It's the stuff your mind will attach significance to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah! So you want to comment? Good!

My only rule: Use common sense manners.