Sunday, March 10, 2013

Time-Traveling with Regrets

The other day while driving to work I thought about the current circumstance of my life, and briefly lolled on the wish of some sort of ability for my present self to be able to send information to my past self, as a way of warning myself against past mistakes through detail of the consequences they have wrought, and to advise a different course, usually the one I'm currently on so that I can hurry up and get the value from it.

For instance, during the days of my hotel job I thought to myself just how I wish I was able to at that time send information through time so that I could spur myself to apply to this place immediately, so that I wouldn't waste my time applying elsewhere or focusing on anything else . . . just this one place that's going to be a value to you. If such a possibility were real I thought it'd be able to get me that value much sooner, advancing my life quicker (rather than chasing dead ends or going where opportunity isn't).

Then, in thinking about my unfortunate job loss, I change my mind into then wanting to send information back to warn myself against my mistakes, or else again encourage me to seek another opportunity sooner so as to avoid wasted time in the past situation.

During that drive to work I also realized what an unhelpful technique that is, too. Aside from the obvious impossibility of time traveling (since it would lead to metaphysical contradictions such as the Grandfather Paradox), it takes an impractical and impossible perspective on life.

Of course, there's the Butterfly Effect to consider. Perhaps if I had asked myself to act earlier on some opportunities, the opportunities wouldn't have been there to exploit. I may have only gotten the values I did because I approached them at the right time.

Secondly, it makes one undermine the value of learning from the present and for the future because of dwelling on impossible constructions of the imagination. I lose emotional emphasis on the here and now given that I'm daydreaming of improving my life an impossible way, by relaying info by some means to my past self (who, in reality, would likely disregard the information given his sense of judgment in his period).

To be a fully effective human-being I realize that both in action and daydream I need to keep myself nailed to the present, so that my thinking is upon actions actually available to me, courses possible, opportunities existing, and potential values for the future. For all I know this could be the darkness before dawn, and all the learning I've done from my mistakes could give me the greatest opportunity yet. I'm not going to see those incoming opportunities if I'm thinking about the ones that don't exist anymore, that aren't real.

Don't go time-traveling with your regrets, trying to revise your past in your daydreams to see if it'll make you feel better. The only way we travel through time is forward, and so must our thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah! So you want to comment? Good!

My only rule: Use common sense manners.