Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Success Without Money In the Beginning

Given that I've practically run out of money myself due to my month of unemployment, I love stories like this. An Indian girl ran away from home at age 17 to avoid being forced into a marriage, and now in her forties she's a millionaire inventor in charge of a large company. She even came to the U.S. without a single cent!

It's people like these you have to pay attention to if you ever want to be truly inspired to do something with yourself. It's frequently toned down my inspiration and desire to self-improve to think of all my money troubles, debt, career setbacks, and the like, but then when I read stories like these, where people have worked themselves up to vast wealth after starting with nothing, I call myself a wimp and get back in the game. People have had it harder than me, so my smaller problems, in comparison, should not defeat me when people like this woman seemed to not care in the first place.

Out of all my new year's resolutions the most important thing for me to do this year is answer an aside question: How does one best become durable, so that continuing problems and obstacles does not cause one to falter, degrade, and quit? A huge problem in my self-improvement is that I've often given up certain routines or did self-destructive things, such as not save my money, and coasted a few years with my eyes on my problems, not knowing how to defeat or endure them. It's taken a few years for me to actually identify this as a question, but now that I've have it's the most important one of the year.

Luckily, it seems to be becoming rapidly answer. I'm identifying the components of it -- to elaborate later -- and observing people who went through harsher times to see what they did, in order to man up and deal with my smaller things. Two books on my must-read list are Ping Fu's Bend Not Break and Alex Lickerman's The Undefeated Mind. One for inspiration, one for practical advice.

Whatever position you may be in, pay attention to the greats. A lot of them had to do a lot of suffering before they've gotten to their height.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah! So you want to comment? Good!

My only rule: Use common sense manners.