Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Super Mario and Hyperinflation?

Okay, while I'm out and about here, not being dead in a ditch all like, how about some random observations? I think I've mentioned before that one of my writing hangups is that sometimes I fret too much over what to write, to the point I don't write because of the worry. As such, let me just write. I really like posting bite-sized philosophical analysis, so here goes:

One thing I wonder about the media is where a pro-Americanism spirit is actually subtly rising in it. Such a thought occurred to me the past several times I've gone to the movies, as even without intentionally seeking them for that purpose, I did notice an oddly pro-freedom theme to them, all too fitting and timely for our culture.

For instance, I was really surprised to see that Toy Story 3 was essentially about dictatorship. The main cast finds itself in a daycare where older toys had established a dictatorship where politically connected toys live at the expense of others. Near the end of the movie Barbie even quotes a founding father, I believe. It was explicitly pro-freedom and American.

I saw the last Harry Potter movie when it came to theaters, and thinking of Ari Armstrong's analysis I notice that it too was implicitly pro-freedom: Voldemort was a symbolized version of Hitler.

Lastly, just last week I saw the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, which is just chock full of cultural references. The villain has a Russian accent, and in taking over Gotham it smacks of communism. There's even references to Occupy Wall Street in there. Also, there might even be a reference to Islamic terrorism, as [spoiler] the villain acquired a nuclear weapon (Iran) and intended to use it in a suicidal fashion by blowing himself up (as Islamic terrorists do) [/spoiler]. Oh, it's there.

I seldom go to the movies, so this is certainly unfounded speculation. Still, my examples aren't exhausted here . . . there's definitely still some pro-Americanism spirit in the movies somewhere.

In this light, I became amused at seeing the concept for the new Super Mario Bros. game from Nintendo. Apparently this time the game is heavily emphasized upon gathering gold coins. There's even a new power-up that enables the player to gain the Midas' touch and turn things to gold.

This game was developed in Japan, I know, but could it be a criticism of the American economy in its current state? While still fightable, hyperinflation is a real and dangerous possibility in our future, and we are divorced from the gold standard, meaning our paperbacks aren't supported by an inherently valuable material.

I don't play video games and so will probably not understand the premise any deeper, but ha, why is Mario collecting all those coins? Is it to combat hyperinflation in the Mushroom Kingdom? To get fodder to melt down to support a new currency? While my speculation may never be proven, I can't help but think of this as a Japanese rib-jiving about the dangers of fiat money and the importance of gold.

Ha . . . hyperinflation hitting the Mushroom Kingdom . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah! So you want to comment? Good!

My only rule: Use common sense manners.