Friday, May 11, 2012

Being Patient with Intimidating Possibilities

Trying to refine my habits through my "Ideal Day" framework may have been one of the most helpful identifications I've made this year. It really helps separate the essential from the non-essential, and really drives up motivation to live the most progress-oriented day possible.

I seem to be regaining much of my youthful fire back now too. I'm more enthusiastic and driven in my endeavors, and my mind just churns out thoughts on various and goals I could be setting. On that last I have seen especial improvement, as now I'm seeing self-improvement ventures all over the place. It's a little intimidating, as all the goals I could choose to take on are beyond my ability to take them on all at once. Certainly they can be tackled in small groups at a time, but can I really do it all? It gave me a little depressing anxiety to think that I may be over my head in setting such high standards for myself.

But no, it's possible, I've stated to myself. The key to taking on such an increasing array to self-improvement ventures is to be patient with yourself and to understand how successful self-improvement increases my capacities. Once I've mastered a particular self-improvement venture it no longer has to be a focused activity, but rather just become part of my lifestyle. Additionally, some self-improvement goals, by their nature, would increase my ability to balance and do more.

For instance, take the studying of mnemonic systems. Some are easy to grasp right away, but some, like the phonetic system, can take real concentrated effort to comprehend and master. In order to become competent at the more difficult ones one has to set aside time to practice it, most likely sets of hours. Those sets of hours dedicated to studying mnemonics will be taken away from other areas, so can you really get done all that you want to get done in your life if you have to take a sidetrack venture like this so often?

Well, no. For one, mastering a good mnemonic system will give you a skill that applies to infinite other learning areas, so it's not like your training an area of your being that will confine its value to only that area. Furthermore, and most importantly, once the system or systems is mastered you no longer have to focus on it; all you have to do is keep utilizing the developed skills to keep them fresh. Once you master a mnemonic you can use it like its second nature, and given the endless opportunities and venues for using it it's very unlikely it will weaken or be forgotten so long as you keep it apart of your lifestyle. The study of such a memorization method would only have to be done, really, once in your entire life, and only needs to be a part of your lifestyle in order to stay strong. You may have to set time aside now in order to get a hang of things . . . but not later on. Later on it's nearly automatic; your nature.

Thinking this way helps me deal with the intimidating amount of possibilities there are out there for self-improvement. The folly in my thinking is that each venture will call for continuous attention and time set-aside for it permanently, thereby very much limiting what I can accomplish with my time. But not so: Every venture can possibly incorporated into my very nature as an individual, and cease to consume time once it's seamed into my lifestyle. With my newly found Pitfall list I should be able to keep track of where I'm lacking, and address it accordingly.

As such, the amount of possibilities for self-improvement out there shouldn't frighten me in their respective time-commitments, but rather excite me given that whatever time I dedicate to them will be made up for in the value it gives me and time it saves later on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah! So you want to comment? Good!

My only rule: Use common sense manners.